I adapted this recipe for vegan lemon bars from this one, based on some of the reviews and my 9 x 9 inch pan. They really came out great!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup sugar
- ~2 cups applesauce
- ~1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest and juice of 3 fresh juicy lemons (or ~½ cup lemon juice)
- powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Crust: In a bowl, combine crust ingredients and press into 9 x 9 inch pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
3. Filling: While the crust is baking, mix the filling ingredients together. Then pour filling over the crust, and bake 25-30 minutes, or until set. Cool (the bars will set more as they cool).
4. Optional topping: Sift powdered sugar on top, if you’d like. That’s the classic way to make these bars, but they are delicious without the extra sugar too!
Makes 16 squares