We got our first share from our CSA this week, and I thought this garden cake recipe that my friend Leslie posted over at Lainey’s Plate (originally from More Vegetables, Please!) would be a great way to use some of the vegetables. I veganized the original recipe by using chia seed gel instead of eggs and swapped the zucchini for butternut squash, and ended up with 16 delicious muffins! I think it’s safe to say that these are the most nutritious muffins I have ever made!
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- chia seed gel: 3 teaspoons chia seeds + 9 tablespoons warm water (mix together and let sit ~ 5 minutes, until forms a goopy gel)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unpeeled and grated carrots
- 1 cup mashed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup unpeeled and grated beets
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix the oil, applesauce, chia seed gel, sugar, and vanilla, beating well. Add baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and flour and mix well. Add shredded veggies and walnuts. Stir until blended and transfer batter to muffin pan. Bake for ~20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.