A year ago I wrote a top ten list of my favorite things that I hadn’t done in a year. Here’s a follow-up on my attempt to do them this past year:
- Swim in the warm ocean with big waves. No such luck. I stuck my foot into the ocean here in Nova Scotia, but it was way too cold to consider swimming in. Maybe next year!
- Play mini golf. Done! Jeff and I played mini golf at my favorite mini golf course, Around the World in 18 Holes in Lake George, NY (shown below), over the summer. We also played mini golf at Beazley’s glow-in-the-dark mini-putt in Dartmouth, NS, where I played the best mini golf game of my life and beat Jeff for the first time!
- Go to an art museum. I didn’t make it to any during the past year, but I plan to go to at least one in Paris in a couple of weeks!
- Go to the Saratoga Jazz Festival at SPAC. Didn’t make it. And it looks like we will be in Saratoga the weekend before the Jazz Festival this year, so we might see the Beach Boys at SPAC, but no Jazz Festival. Maybe next year!
- Play tennis on a non-windy day. I played tennis several times last year. Yay!
- Eat an apple cider donut from Saratoga Apple. Nope. Wheat and I still aren’t friends, so I probably won’t be able to eat a regular cider donut anytime soon. But now that I have a donut maker, I can and will make my own.
- Hang out with my friend Theresa. We didn’t get to hang out in person, but we did skype a few times, so I’ll consider this one mostly successful.
- Kayak. Nope. Hopefully this summer!
- Go on a waterslide. Nope. Hopefully this summer?
- Go to a baseball game with friends on a nice day. I was so close to making this one happen. We had tickets to see the Red Sox play in Pittsburgh while we were in town for a wedding, but our flights got messed up and we ended up missing the game. Maybe next year…
I can now cross off number 13 on my bucket list! Earlier this year I started dabbling in growing edible things, like encouraging my sprouting onion, as well as growing some herbs (basil, rosemary, lemon thyme) on my kitchen windowsill. I didn’t quite have the motivation during this exceptionally rainy spring to set up a garden, but when I saw this sickly tomato plant on sale at Canadian Tire, I figured I could handle the $3 investment. I didn’t have much hope that the sickly plant would actually bear any fruit though.
But the plant really flourished, and I was surprised and delighted when I saw tiny tomatoes beginning to grow from the flowers.
And the tiny tomatoes grew!
And they ripened!
And then I picked them – aren’t they cute?! And delicious, too 🙂
I really want to finish this scarf I’ve been knitting all winter! It’s so close to being long enough to finish it up, so I have been knitting up a storm all week.
And finishing the scarf means that I am also thinking about other projects that I want to get started on…
I love the grumpasaurus’ simple yet expressive grumpyface and his little balled up fists. So cute!
The Daily Post at WordPress prompted me to “make a top ten list of favorite things to do you haven’t done in over a year.” I’m pretty self-indulgent, so I do a lot of my favorite things fairly regularly. But here are the ten favorite things I came up with:
- Swim in the warm ocean with big waves. The ocean in southeastern Florida in the summer is pretty much perfect for me.
- Play mini golf. Preferably Around the World in 18 Holes in Lake George, NY.
- Go to an art museum. This one just made the one-year cut – It’s barely been more than a year since I went to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia with Kerry.
- Go to the Saratoga Jazz Festival at SPAC. Preferably with my sister.
- Play tennis on a non-windy day. Apparently this is a lot to ask for in Nova Scotia.
- Eat an apple cider donut from Saratoga Apple. They are my favorite donuts anywhere, ever.
- Hang out with my friend Theresa. Chile and Canada are so far apart =(
- Kayak. I blame my lack of kayaking last summer on my Crohns-yness.
- Go on a waterslide. I miss the Blue Tubaluba at Sandcastle.
- Go to a baseball game with friends on a nice day. Even better if it’s a Red Sox game and I get to eat a soft pretzel while watching the game =)
WordPress has organized a challenge to either post once a day or once a week for 2011, and I’m getting on board for posting once a week. I’ll probably post more frequently than that, but WordPress’ “The Daily Post” is providing topic ideas and writing advice which will be useful when I can’t come up with anything interesting to write about on my own. Let’s see how this goes!
Item #21 from my “50 things” list has been accomplished! I donated about 12 inches of hair earlier this week! Before and after:
I started making this “life goals” list in September 2007. It’s not 50 items long yet, but obviously it’s a work in progress. This past weekend, I completed #9! =) I’ll post more about that once we have more photos from the big day! Anyway, without further ado, here is the list:
- Visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (2008)
- Visit Hawaii
- Hike down and out of the Grand Canyon
- Finish knitting that scarf, and maybe more knitting projects (2010)
- Visit Machu Picchu
- Go for a ride in a hot air balloon (2008)
- Finish reading A People’s History of the United States (2009)
- Finish PhD (2009)
- Get married (2010)
- Have kids
- Learn to golf
- Go to the Strip District farmers market in Pittsburgh (2008)
- Grow my own vegetables
- Visit Iceland
- Play tennis on a grass court
- Attend Wimbledon
- Attend Roland Garros
- Attend the Australian open
- Ride a camel on a sand dune
- Go to “The Wave” in Arizona
- Donate hair to Locks of Love
- See the northern lights
- Go to at least one of the places from the song “Kokomo”
I sort of wish I had made this list earlier, because the following items were major things that I wanted to do too, but I was lucky enough to do them before September 2007.
- Go skydiving
- Walk on a glacier
- Attend the US Open (tennis)
I’ll update the blog as more of these exciting things get accomplished!